Hi Skye

>>>I think its more than just training, I think its the individual horse
as well...a mix of genetics and environment.  (training)

I would definitely agree that it is more than just training.  We have bred,
raised and trained several 100 Icelandics and even though they are basically
raised and handled the same way - except that the ones with a tendency to be
more sensitive are handled more - and trained the same way - some are more
forward than others when ridden.   Some start out more sensitive than others
although I would say that none of our horses are ever as leg reactive as
some horses I have met and ridden in and out of Iceland.

Much of it has to do with the expectation of what we want from our horses.
In Iceland - the temperament or willingness (goeyness or forward) is what
most trainers want in Iceland and there is where I think some of the
misunderstanding from the horse's point of view.   I think this is changing
in Iceland and there is more focus put on standing still for mounting, being
more relaxed and waiting for a forward signal and having good brakes which
is paramount in the pleasure market - anywhere.

Robyn

Icelandic Horse Farm
Robyn Hood & Phil Pretty
Vernon BC Canada