International Judge) in getting them to listen - at least the Peruvian spade
bit has been banned. All kudos to him, and especially to Sali Peterson who
first made a noise to the USIHC about the use of the bit and got Will to go
to FEIF with it.

All the stuff I read from Americans gave me the impression they (the writers
of the posts) gave me was that they were almost more concerned about the
"cultural invasion" of using a Spanish-associated bit.   Maybe I'm wrong,
but I didn't get the feeling that the rage was so much directed towards the
harshness of the bit.  I really think there was a "there goes the
neighborhood" attitude at work, compromising the exclusive culture of
Iceland.

And I think the wording of the FEIF rules on bits is ludicrous.  I hate the
phrasing of disallowing bits "from other cultures."  In this day and age,
most bits are used internationally - good bits and bad bits.  "Culture" has
nothing to do with it - in fact, they have recently embraced the horrible
leveler noseband, and that most certainly isn't an old Icelandic custom -
neither are the nasty Pessoa bitting rigs they sell on astund.is.  It's
perfectly possible to define bits by their mechanics, their dimensions,
etc., and to ban bits that don't meet certain minimal standards.  Other
breeds and disciplines do it all the time.  Come to think of it, dropped
nosebands aren't part of "Icelandic culture" - any more than Peruvian bits
are... But, by gawd, we see dropped nosebands with long-shanked bits all the
time.  Nasty...

FEIF and all its members could cut to the chase and drop all the "cultural"
smoke and mirrors and make rules that aren't so easy for the
loophole-lookers to find.   "Culture" is a word that has no place in any
show standards - it's a human word.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:27 AM

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses