>I'm not really talking about Icelanders - FEIF almost seems to be more of a
>European entity to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

It is European, but very strongly influenced by Iceland, Sweden and
Germany purely because they have the most horses and the most members.

>just a couple of years ago?  Previously, there were descriptions (and
>pictures too, I believe?) of allowed bits, then suddenly the rules were
>rephrased to the vague "culture" phrasing.  Why the regression to something
>so vague?

It used to be everything not specifically allowed is forbidden. Now
it's everything not specifically forbidden is allowed. This was
brought in mainly because there were so many new bits appearing on the
market (like the Happy Mouth, for instance, which under the old rules
wasn't allowed!).

>I've heard that, but it doesn't make sense to me.

No, nor me, but I've heard many of the discussions at the various FEIF
meetings which led to the rule being changed.

 There is no universal
>definition of "driving bit" and some people drive in bits that are perfectly
>acceptable riding bits - right?

Yes.However, it's generally accepted that Wilton snaffles and
Liverpool bits are not suitable for riding (just as an example).

  And, I betcha there are rules for driving
>competitions that allow and disallow certain bits...? I'm guessing there.

I imagine there are, especially at lower levels, but at International
driving competitions I've seen all the horses have been in Liverpool
bits, a lot of them on rough cheek (ie the lowest, most severe
setting).

>And all "western curb bits" most certainly aren't created equally.  Some

>I'd like to know
>>specifically what about a "western bit" they'd want to ban

Western and driving bits were just an example I thought of off the top
of my head. To me, the words "Western bit" conjure up something that
has 10 inch shanks on a spade bit (though not usually a broken bit,
and never used with a drop noseband!!!!).

>The language barrier seems like a convenient excuse to me.  After all, it's

Maybe it does seem an excuse to you - you've never been to a FEIF
Delegates Assembly where people with around 12 different languages are
trying to work together. All of them pretty much amateur volunteers
running on a tight budget compared with something like the FEI....

>that - heck, if that was a real reason, they could simply start by copying
>some of the FEI bitting rules, making adjustments as needed.

I really wish they would do this! It's something John and I have been
discussing, but it's bloody hard to get the support to push it
through.

  (I've always
>assumed they "stole" the FEIF acronym from the FEI, but maybe I'm wrong.)

You are. It comes from (in my extremely poor written German)
Federation European Islandpferde Freunde, the Federation of European
Icelandic Horse Friends.

BTW, Happy New Year!

Mic

Mic (Michelle) Rushen

Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs:
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"