On Dec 31, 2007, at 9:41 AM, Janice McDonald wrote:

what are the tapa ojos for?  I need me one of those ponchos...  as for
the bit, how does the spoon part work?  when you pull back does it
depress the tongue, and if so what is the purpose exactly.
Janice

The tapa ojos sit above the eyes and can be slid down to cover the eyes in appropriate situations. A horse with its eyes covered pretty much won't move.

They are used in Peru as the equivalent of hobbles (the coastal desert has no trees to tie to during a rest stop). Trainers working alone will use them when first mounting a horse in training so it won't spook as it sees the human swinging up onto it's back. Or when saddling. I've used them on horses that seem concerned about seeing the farrier or vet working around them (a bandana will work too). But for the most part, they are just a piece of the traditional tack.

I'm not a trainer so I haven't studied the bit's working in detail, but if you pull back on the reins the port will swivel up and touch the palate while the bar puts pressure on the tongue. Meanwhile, the curb chain will tighten on the chin. The bit swivels at each cheekpiece so you have a wide variety of cues you can give through the bit. Combined with the seat and leg commands, you get a light style expected of pleasure/performance/equitation riders in the show ring:

(i) Seat and Hands. Rider should convey
impression of effective and easy control. Good
hands - showing sympathy, adaptability and control
- are paramount. Hands slightly above pommel.
Light contact with horse's mouth. Reins held in left
hand, with or without fingers between the reins.
Romal on right side held in relaxed position in right
hand, slightly behind right thigh.

I gather this was *not* the the equitation that caused the fuss in Europe <g>.

Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/