I have a friend who has one of these carts, but I never took a really close
look.

I'm sure I don't really need to remind any of the people on this list, but
just in case, driving requires careful preparation and the potential for
injury to you and your pony is probably greater than in riding.  I have
friends, two very experienced horsewomen, who had a serious carting accident
with a Fjiord pony during a driving clinic.  This was not a green pony, but
he freaked and wrecked the cart and scared the spectators to death.

Nancy