went on a short trail ride today, short because my girl was not to interested
in following and she wanted to leap down hills or run them. I didn't let her
and it made her angry and she would crow hop or buck. Neither was that bad
because I put the western treed saddle on to ride and it defiinitly gives you
more confidence when riding an overconfident horse who is green. I do think my
larger size makes the bucks a lot more uncomfortable for her than she is making
for me and so she only gives it one try and then stops it and goes back to a
walk like I ask her. She did mostly very nice on flat ground and when I did
give her the chance to lead on the trail she wanted to go into trot or tolt and
I said no for today since she was giving me her attitude, only walk, then she
would try to race whoever I let get back in front of her for more riding. She
is very dominant. I do find I have to give her lots of jobs to keep her mind
off of who is behind us so she doesn't try to bother them. She is not the laid
back personality of her mother. She is still very loving and when ever I get
the chance to remind her with praise for being good, she starts prancing, like
she is the best child I have. I think she is going to be a horse that needs a
dominant personality to be responsive to, and not someone who bullies, that
seems to be her job. I am not sure if I should be letting her go faster on the
flat and then slowing her on the turns and hills. I don't know if forcing her
to go slow is going to create more problems. Like head tossing, etc. What do
you think. I don't ride her on trails alone just because she is so head strong
and the funny thing is, I can't ride her in a ring, she won't go forward after
about two laps, like she hates being in the ring, I do too but I don't tell her
that.