On Jan 27, 2008 3:14 PM, Jeannette Hoenig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am not sure if I should be letting her go faster on the flat and
then slowing her on the turns and hills. I don't know if forcing her
to go slow is going to create more problems. Like head tossing, etc.

i have a goey horse that I believe if I had not worked really hard for
a long time on trying to make him listen and slow down, he would be a
maniac, because even tho I got him to listen to this he is just
borderline uncontrollable.  And even tho I finally got where he would
listen when I would try and slow him, a friend rode him for me in an
excited situation a couple of weeks ago and he wore her arms out
trying to hold him back the whole ride.  the thing that worked for me,
was on the ground training him to give to the bit, bring the head
down, flex to one side and then the other, then at the walk, then at
the gait.  but I hate to break it to you, when young he started out
like this, then got better, then with age got even more hot and goey.
he is my problem child.  but one thing, i was advised to put a
different bot on him.  the one i used was a wonderbit, designed to
keep the head high.  high head equals high excitement.  i switched him
to a mullen pelham which i use with one set of reins like a short
shanked bit and it brought his head down and made him more manageable
and his gait better too!  Made his gait awesome cause he was not so
ventroflexed.
Janice

--
courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway--John Wayne