--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy  Sturm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I had the most disturbing trail ride this morning.  I started out
with a
> nice (and timid) older lady on her very pretty Peruvian Paso
gelding.  We
> started up one trail off the farm, rode along a short section of
logging
> road and expected to turn right up the road take  a nice single track
trail.
> Instead, her horse turned left down a second trail, headed back for
the
> barn.  She could not stop or turn the him.   He sort of ran away at
the
> walk.
Hello Nancy,
A few years ago, I was your timid older rider only on a pretty
Icelandic.  I would ride the trails by myself or with others.  Blessi
was fine going over streams, over ditches, past the leaf blower for the
first time, dealing with deer popping out of the woods,etc.,  and then
we would come to a fork in the road and he would want to go right and I
would want to go left and there would be a "discussion."  Note that
Blessi would only do this with me--he was fine with more experienced
riders.
Several years ago, we worked through these issues by:
- lots of ground exercises.  I was not familiar with NH techniques at
that point so we did a lot of leading, gate opening, and bomb proofing
exercises from the ground.  As several people have noted, it really
helps you start to learn how to read your horse, build a relationship,
and learn to be a leader.  Since I have been introduced to TTeam,
Parelli, etc., I continue to work on ground exercises and have learned
a lot more.
- lots of riding lessons.  As a beginning rider, I used my reins for
90% of my communication with Blessi.  I can tell you that Blessi can go
in any direction with his nose pulled to either knee--he would ignore a
one rein stop at a walk.  One of my dressage books mentions (and since
I am quoting this by memory my percentages may be off) that reins
should only be about 25% of your communication with the horse; seat,
40%; legs, 35%.  A Centered Riding Clinic really helped me develop use
of the neutral pelvis, which really helped with balance.  Regular
riding lessons helped me re-enforce what I learned.  It is hard to be
confident and lose your nervousness (or at least be less nervous  ;-) )
until you have a balanced seat and learn how to "read your horse" and
anticipate his moves.
And Blessi and I continue to learn together.