>>> You know, I've heard that last statement before about Icelandics and it
>>> always seems odd to me to have form be at odds with function.    Why would
>>> Icelandics be any different from any other equine?    Unless the "function"
>>> being graded has been helped along. . . Could it be because horses with
>>> less than stellar conformation are "fixed" up to gait via mechanical means
>>> and that manufactured, showy gait is then graded highly?

Many times, I think it's just because people are looking at traits that don't
influence gait.  For instance, does the width of a horse's chest affect his
gaitedness?  Not much, probably not at all.  Yet, somewhere along the way, the
myth popped up that TWH need narrow chests to run-walk.  Narrow chests aren't
the best trait for long-term soundness, and can affect such gait traits as
interferences, but really has next-to-nothing to do with determining
soft-gaitedness versus three-gaitedness.

Cow hocks don't PREVENT a horse from gaiting, and a noticeable number of TWH
have cow hocks (and sickle hocks).  Somewhere along the line, people assumed
because a couple of cow/sickle hocked horses could gait, that horses NEED them
to gait.

We need to get more people aware of what traits are important to both 1)
long-term soundness, and 2) aiding natural gait.   It's quite possible for
nicely gaited horses to also be built for long-term soundness...We have plenty
of Icelandic's who fit both descriptions, but we need to be favoring those when
we breed.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:19 PM