On Feb 25, 2008, at 6:13 AM, Robyn Hood wrote:

> They're not, this is true of  other breeds as well that offer halter
> classes
> and performance.  I remember in conformation hunter classes in hand  -
> few
> of those horses ever did well in the show ring.  It certainly is / or
> was
> the same in QH and Arabian show classes.  Do other gaited breeds have
> conformation classes in their competition??
>
> Robyn

The Peruvians have both conformation and halter  classes as part of
their competitions.

Conformation (zootechnico) is strictly conformation  -- the horse has
to walk to the rail and back to the line up so the judge can determine
reach and straightness of moving, but otherwise the horses are judged
standing,  against the physical parts of the breed standard.
Zootechnico doesn't count towards any championship although some club
awards count combined placings in zootechnico, gait class, and
performance class. Zootechnico is what mosrt other breeds call a halter
class.

Halter class for Peruvians is largely for showing horses too young to
be under saddle:

Sec. 2. Breeding - On Halter Open to fillies, colts, mares and
stallions. Entries to be shown in hand at each horse's best gait -
either
Paso llano or Sobreandando. The judge will ask all halter horses to
walk some distance after working them on the rail in gait. Unless
otherwise specified by show management, each horse shall enter the
ring at his best gait and shall remain in that gait until requested to
stop
and line up. Each horse will be worked sufficiently for the judge to
properly evaluate the gait and the walk. Handler should be positioned
approximately at the horse's withers, left side, and may change sides
during individual workouts. The handler may not let the lead line drag
behind in the ground behind him. In the line, horses are to stand
squarely, not stretched. Horses must be handled and shown throughout
the entire class by one and the same person. Individual workouts may
be called for any or all placings at the discretion of the judge. Horses
chosen for workouts will be shown as requested by the judge and
different speeds may be requested, but excessive speed will not be
required. Young horses shall not be heavily penalized for breaking
gait occasionally. Entries to be judged 45% on conformation, 30%
on gait and collection and 20% on brio and 5% on condition.

Halter classes are the basis for Junior Championships but they have
declined in entries in recent years, largely because the *handlers* are
aging and fewer people are willing to run  six or more laps of an arena
along with a yearling or two year old in multiple classes (gait is
about 7 mph so the handler needs to be able to move on out).

Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/