>>> We have 4-strand, electrified, hi-tensile perimeter fence, so I've got
>>> to have something VERY horse friendly if I'm  going to do a corridor
>>> with that for the outside.   My husband also suggested we not go
>>> narrower than 20 feet.

Renee, we have what we refer to as the "runway" between two of our big
pastures and it's about 45 feet wide, and about 1200 feet long - about an
acre.  It's that wide because of other circumstances (we were only able to
buy the land in increments and we lease the adjoining pasture, thus the odd
shape.)   I'm always wary about how many horses I put in the area, and if
there are more than a couple, I try to open some of the gates into the
adjoining pastures.  Twenty feet may be fine for 2, 3, maybe 4 very
compatible horses, but if you have more than that, or if there's any
squabbling going on, I wouldn't go that narrow, especially if there has to
be any corners in your track.