of course, if you say he is "gaiting" in my area, you could equally
well be
describing a horse at the walk or a gallop.

--vicka

Okay, this is several different threads getting mixed into one
discussion.  I want to address common vs specialized or professional
language.

I understand your point about common use of langauage.  I have in the
dim, dark past a PhD minor in Cognitive psychology, including study
of Psycholingustics.  Not up to your credentials or experience, but I
am not totally ignorant.

We all to adjust our speech for the intended audience.  In my area of
the west many people refer to all easy gaited horses as "shufflers",
a term the old cowboys used for the original appallosa's gait.  If I
was talking to one of these people I might well call my SSH a
"shuffler".  Or to another audience I might say my horse is "in her
second gear gait".  (I agree that who ever started calling our horses
gaited did muddy the waters -- of course all horses have multiple
gaits.)

However, this forum is not a "general" nor a regional audience.  It
is specifically for people who are seriously interested in easy
gaited horses, so we use more "precise" terms.  Just as you talk
about lingustics differently to us than you would in a scholarly
article.

So, for the this forum can we all agree to the terminology in Lee's
book?

Kat