>>>  I too have a "three gaited" icelandic.  and it IS a bad description.
>>> Thank you!   for one, he has two trots, one rough and one with almost no
>>> percussion at all, my rear doesnt even leave the saddle.

But Janice, dressage/hunter/western type (read: non-gaited) horses are
typically referred to as "three-gaited" horses.   How many kinds of trots
are there?   Well, there's a jog,a working trot, a lengthened trot, a medium
trot, an extended trot...and that's before you even get into the variations
of the collected trots.  Even "jog" has its variations - what I love in a QH
trail horse jog is NOT the same thing as that convoluted western pleasure
show ring jog.  Then there are good and bad versions of each kind of trot.
BUT...the gait is the trot - all of these descriptions are simply
variations.  Knowing Tivar, I'm pretty sure that his no-percussion trot
where your butt stays put is his lovely, lovely, natural jog... the
"real-world" kind, not the show ring kind.  I love a good jog - my Sundance
had a great one.

Here's a good question, that most of us should know:  what defines one gait
as unique from another?  Or, in the case of the trot variations, what
defines these variations as being the same gait?