I need some tips on how to get a horse going forward in the long lines WITHOUT
a helper leading.

I've always had a 2nd person leading the horse initially, but don't have that
luxury now in restarting a little pony mare we have here (non-Icelandic).   She
is very confused and I don't know how to help her.   In her effort to be
compliant, she does one of three things:  Stands stock still.   Backs up.
Uncoils to one side or the other (like the unwinding game) and faces me.   If I
try to prevent her from turning to face me, she simply starts backing.   The
forward motion is elluding us and I know once she gets the idea she can move
out, everything will fall into place.   But without a helper "crutch" at her
head, I am at a loss as to how to get her going forward.

Ideas?

-- Renee M. in Michigan where it is FINALLY looking like Spring might be on its
way