has really put me off over the years.

The people from Iceland are "Icelanders."   I've never heard anyone call it
"Icelander-style".  The horses have the descriptive adjective "Icelandic" in
their breed name.   Unless we change the name of the breed, I don't see how
to make a clearly defining term that won't insult someone.  No other breed
is shown the same way as we see Icelandic's so how can you clarify it as the
unique style we see in the World Championships, at Landsmott, etc.   We're
not talking about QH horse style showing, or Arab showing, or dressage
showing, and it's not even the same Saddlebred or TWH showing...and
Saddlebreds and TWH ARE at least shown in versatility classes.   We ARE
talking about the way the official international and national Icelandic
breed associations promote.   As long as the international and national
breed associations promote this type of riding, and no other type of riding,
it IS "Icelandic style" to me.

The only generic name I can think of would be "Five-Gaited Show Style
Riding."  I don't think there's any such thing as a five-gaited horse, and I
think the forced gaited is at the core of what we see.  And, the only other
breed people that use the term "five-gaited" are the Saddlebred people, and
frankly, I don't like the way they show either.  It's all about force and
flash.

When we go back in history to the 1960's, don't we know that the Germans who
imported the first Icelandic's turned to American Saddlebred trainers for
help, right in the heyday of Big Lick escalation.   Isn't that the common
thread - the forced-gait style of riding, that isn't practical and isn't
natural, but is all about flash in the show ring?

How about "five-gaited style" or maybe better, "Forced-Gait Show Style
Riding."  It wouldn't bother me at all to include any and all nationalities
and breeds that ridie that way.   That takes ALL human nationalities out of
the picture, and would include only the guilty parties, wherever they live,
wherever they were born, and whatever breed they ride.

Karen Thomas, NC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Checked by AVG.
12:32 PM

------------------------------------

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses