>>> I have always heard that round bales are more prone to have things (like
>>> dead critters) in them and are packed tighter than square bales. This
>>> combination can lead to the organism that causes botulism.

And they are so much more prone to mold.  If a "square" bale (that's what
the farmers call them here, even if they are actually rectangular) is
slightly damp in the center, it's more likely to dry before it molds, but
the depth of the round bales scare me - hard for air to get into the depths
to dry it out.  Maybe it's not as big a deal with some grasses in some
climates, but our fescue hay is always cut when it's humid, with a chance of
thunderstorms.  Before I'd feed it blindly on the recommendation of the
list, I'd check with some regional experts to be sure.