> We fed it one year when there was a drought.  The horses thrived on
> it.  But then they seem to thrive no matter what...
>
> Seems to me I did supplement with alfalfa cubes that year as well...

The 2 girls here seem to be thriving on it but I also supplement with
some fortified low starch bag forage and supplement with a
mineral/vitamin top dressing and BOSS.  I think the biggest drawback
to oat hay (as long as you get it from someone that knows how to
harvest it correctly) is that it is higher in sugar.  I had mine
analyzed and it came back surprisely complete and not very much higher
in sugar - I don't think I'd feed it to an IR horse, though. The thing
I like about it is that they eat up the seed heads and the "better
part" of the hay and then nibble on the rest until the next feeding
time and I have very little waste.

--
Laree in NC
Doppa & Mura

"Yet when all the books have been read and reread, it boils down to
the horse, his human companion, and what goes on between them." -
William Farley