>>> And as I write this I am wondering why, just seems field mice etc would
>>> accidentally get into the hay...  but I have never heard of a single case
>>> of
>>> botulism.  In fact, the only bad hay probs I have ever heard of is one case
>>> of a young horse dying from black mold in hay, that was in mid alabama, and
>>> then the blister beetle disaster in alfalfa brought in from somewhere up
>>> north.

It's not JUST botulism that bad hay can cause, Janice.  Moldy or decomposing
matter can trigger a colic attack.  I'm sure many people don't report each and
every case of colic since it's so common, and many of the reported cases never
get a specific cause assigned.   It's usually not fatal, but I still don't want
my horses to have it.