I guess it just depends on  the horses.

Exactly right.  Where I board, it is of course their business to keep horses
safe and they usually have geldings together and mares together, but with
careful supervision when they are first introduced, they will mix sexes.
Tosca was put in first with her Icelandic buddy Lina,  plus another  mare
and a gelding.  The mare ran her all over the pasture.  Given enough
motivation, Tosca does a flying pace.  So we pulled her right back  out and
put  her in with five geldings.  They all did just fine.  Later, another
large pony mare was added to the mix.  The two ponies hang out together.
They're really sweet to watch.

Nancy