I think when they are very young, they play close to equally hard, at least
up until they are about six months to a year.  Then, the boys continue to
play, as the girls minds move onto grownup and sedate activities.   And, I
never noticed the huge disparity in playing between genders until I got
Icelandic's.  Probably geldings/stallions are slightly more playful in all
breeds, but honestly, I think, in general, Icelandic geldings are the most
playful of any subgroup of horses I've ever encountered...except for Buck,
the mini-mule!