> as the
> motion of the horse is like centrifugal force that will tend to
move
> us out
> of it.
> Robyn

Does it then follow that to oppose that centrifugal force requires
increased weight on the inside seat bone. Sylvia Loch says so in The
classical Seat (only arrived today).
I made my little cardboard model and discovered the horses centre of
gravity is inside the centreline when bent.( A crescent shaped piece
of cardboard balances on the inside of it's centreline.)
 Mary Wanless in the Natural Rider states that the horse leans inward
slightly on the bend and so must the rider. That doesn't mean
collapsing the torso on that side but supporting it. Both seatbones
stay in contact in a fencing stance.
 Obviously none of these things are to be overdone. It is all
subjective and if done correctly probably doesn't feel like leaning
in or weighting the inside seat bone. I remember the famous Doc
councilman asking swimmers if they pull underwater with straight or
bent arm. !00% said straight. 100% had a 90' bend on video. Until we
have evidence like that we can only make educated guesses.
I knew a swimmimg teacher who used a harness to hold the swimmer up
on a hoist in the water. I used to wish I could hire one for riding.
It would make falling off less painful.LOL. Then one day I realised I
already had one it was called 'gravity'. There have been several
moments when it felt like God was holding me up by a string that went
through my head down to my heels. The lightness was fantastic. Then
there were the times he was too busy to help. Boy was I heavy as I
hit the ground!

> Also someone (sorry I deleted the post) asked about the weight on
the
> inside seat bone on a turn.   As I understand it, by putting your
> weight to the inside the horse has to "catch-up" to follow your
> weight so they lean into the turn and the inside shoulder drops.
> (Some one who is better at this, please chime in!)

I'm no better at this but I know that's exactly what would happen if
I was running in a circle.
The Article that started this discussion said that the opposite
happens. The horse pushes the shoulder up to counteract the weight
and the head turns ouside the circle. Did I read it wrong?

 I was taught to
> keep my weight centered, but move my outside hip bone away from
the
> horse making room for the ribs to arc out.  (Think off your hip as
> being a drawer that you can pull out.)  I find it really helpful
> get down on all fours and try these things out, have some one play
> rider and shift their weight and see how it effects you.
>
> Kat

So have you read Mary Wanless book Ride With Your mind Essentials?
There are lots of exercises like that. Sylvia loch does a lot of
rider walking through dressage exercise. I like the drawer analogy to
allow the horse to bend through the ribs. I will add that one to my
tool box.

The following is only my opinion; If I keep my weight centred by feel
it must be centred over the horses centre of gravity. There is
centrifugal force to which we have to apply an equal and opposite
centripedal force. The vector for that will cause a slight lean
inwards by horse and rider(one unit). When the forces are balanced it
feels centred despite the lean. Too much or too little lean will
unbalance the horse.
My opinion isn't worth much as I am only learning!

Sue Coombes