On 4/23/08, Mic Rushen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:37:24 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >The only horse who slid - once
>
> I should have made it clearer - one foot on one horse slid once; it
> sounds like he fell or something, and he didn't, not even close.
>
> Mic

my only concern with this is, like my stonewall, he is
happy-go-effing-stupid.  wont slow down for nothing.  if my Jaspar or
Teev comes up on terrain that is a possible threat to welfare, they
slow, will look for and seek better footing.  They let ME know the
footing is bad.  Here the bad stuff is often hidden beneath a foot
deep layer of rotting leaves. But stonewall, oh nooooo, he just goes
full bore, leaves flying whooo hoooo having a blast...  and its up to
ME to protect him from his own stupidity...  My responsibility
actually.  Something I have learned is critical actually.  Because I
have seen people on horses bog down to where I honestly thought
helicopters and cranes would have to get them out, people trapped
beneath a floundering animal bogged up to the neck in black muck while
seven or 8 people with ropes are pulling and shoving the poor thing
out.  I have been up to my waist in sand while jaspar was up to his
nose making some sort of prehistoric groaning sound straining to get
out.  I dont take terrain lightly!  But I do have that one silly horse
that does...  if I had ice, I think I would watch out for it, and like
Skye pointed out, there are other surfaces you just have to watch out
for, like asphalt.  and just because a horse isnt limping doesnt mean
his joint/tendon integrity hasnt been compromised.
Janice
--
even good horses have bad days sometimes.