> Growing vegetables is great fun. You do need a sense of humor though as
> you won't be the only ones eating the produce!

I had a vegetable garden for several years (V- I learned a lot from
the Gardening for Dummies book)  About 3 years into it, I decided to
give corn a try.  I planted my seeds, the shoots would come up right
on time, get about 2-3 inches tal and disappear!  I couldn't figure
out what was happening.  I planted again and the same thing happened.
So the 3rd and last time, I kept a closer eye and realized when the
corn got just the right heigth, the crows would land, pull up the
plants and eat the seed - they would clean out the rows in about 30
minutes. So, I put a lawn chair in the middle of the garden, took some
old jeans and a shirt and stuffed them with straw and went and bought
one of those Mylar balloons with a smiley face - never had a problem
again - the balloon floated enough to convince the birds it was alive
and even my neighbors driving by occassionally pulled in to talk to me
because they thought I was in the garden. Vegetable gardens are great
fun and good exercise

--
Laree in NC
Doppa & Mura

"Yet when all the books have been read and reread, it boils down to
the horse, his human companion, and what goes on between them." -
William Farley