They go nuts in less pressure situations?  Maybe arena sour?

Or perhaps not accostomed to the real world?  There was a very sad situation
a few years back where a woman in Nevada was dying and the breeder of her
nice dressage mare was trying to place the mare, a National Show Horse.  We
were looking for a dressage horse for our grandson Gabe and I was looking
for an endurance prospect.  She sounded like she would fill the bill, so I
paid $1000 to have her shipped to Oregon.

Now, in defense of the mare, this was a horrific number of changes  for her
in a very short time and four years later she is doing very nicely as a high
school equestrian horse.  She NEVER leaves the arena, but she has adapted to
pasture turnout.

When the shipper arrived at Creekside, he waved a lead rope in my face.
Claudette had eaten through it her first ten minutes on the truck.  She had
always gone from her stall to a dressage court and back to her stall.  She
was terrified of grass, couldn't drink from a water trough, dropped a ton of
weight.  She was rideable in the arena, but when Gabe took her out on trail
with a group of 4-H girls, she had a terrible wreck.  He came off and she
cart wheeled down into a ravine.  He thought she was dead.  After about
three months, we decided she just was not safe for either of us.  I never
even got on her.  After Ashley took her over, there were several other
horrific wrecks.   She came out the front of a horse trailer, or tried to.
She bumped the gait to the arena when being led, bolted and fell over a bank
and into a creek.

The point of this whole story is that it is possible for a horse to be quite
good in the familiar and controlled setting of an arena and quite dangerous
in the big out-of-doors.

Nancy