>>> Here's an interesting article on swayback:
>>> http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/health/anatomy/swaybacks_081205/

No, Loftur's not swayback.  His back looks pretty normal, but it drops with
weight.  I assume he has the characteristics that Judy was talking about.
When he's in pain, I can tell it by how he stands - at least somewhat parked
out, but not so noticably in his back.   When he's feeling better, he stands
with his legs under him, pretty normally.  If you ever do belly lifts on a
horse, you probably know that you usually can't see the horse's back lift
very distinctly if you're the one close enough to do the lifts.  Normally,
you have to be standing away from the horse to see it.  With Loftur, I can
see it when I do the lifts - he can lift his back that dramatically.  But,
when you mount him, you can feel it drop more than most horses.   His back
simply seems to have more slack in it than any other horse I've ever known.