>>I have a 12 year old broodmare, Belle, that is in liver failure.
Belle was
overweight but lost some before she foaled.  I kept thinking she had
ADR
(ain't doin' right), but couldn't put my finger on it.<snip> Then he
did some blood work
and found that she is hypo glycemic, and her liver was failing.  This
was
because she was overweight and her liver couldn't process all the fat
going
through when she lost weight.  And this was made worse by producing
milk.
Brought Belle home yesterday because she was extremely nervous at the
vet's.  Again, thanks for any advice.

>>Janet
>>Caliente, California

Hi Janet;

I don't "do" horses but I see lots of hepatic lipidosis in cats.  Over
the past few years the researchers have come up with some great
treatments for it and I haven't lost one of these or even needed to put
in a feeding tube for awhile.  So - depending upon how far you want to
pursue it - I would take her to your nearest referral hospital and see
what they say; get an appointment with someone boarded in Internal
medicine.  Most of what I do is nutritional support - carnitine,
taurine, food, food, food (low fat), couple of antibiotics, denosyl, um
... lot's o' pills, can't remember all of it off hand, but the cats and
the humans don't appreciate the treatment (although they do like
surviving).  I assume your mare is on grass hay?  no grain?

If you don't know where to take her, let me know where you are and I
can look for someone in your area.

good luck, Penny