> Basic trail skills (bitless or with a mild snaffle/loose rein)
>
> ) Will the horse lag behind the horse in front without rushing to catch
> up?
>
> ) Will the horse deviate (at least slightly) from the path his partner
> horse
> is taking?  In other words, will the young horse willingly take a trail
> loop
> slightly away from the other horse, even for a short period?
>
> ) Can the horse leap-frog, leading then following?
>
> ) Is the horse unworried about basic trail stuff, like blown-over trees,
> fallen limbs, rustling leaves, an occasional critter (snake, squirrel,
> deer,
> whatever...)
>
> ) Is the horse relaxed in an open field as well as in the woods?
>
> ) If you have to cross roads, is the horse unworried by passing cars?

Yes to all of these, plus:

Will the horse go through mud, running streams and wider shallow types of
water?

Will he cross any kind of safe bridge?

Can he be ridden out alone?  I start this very early on.  I think it is
easier when they are still very open-minded.

Can he climb steep sections of trail?

Can he descend steep sections of trail?  This is harder for most youngsters,
but important for us here where there are so many mountains.

Can he keep his act together if the truly scarey appears - bicycles, baby
joggers, ATV's, helicopters?  I'm not looking for bombproof, but a safe
response, even if it means my dismounting.

Nancy