>>> To further complicate this, Hunter is NEVER allowed to jump anything.
>>> Although he
>>> seems to have turned into a sedate grown up trail horse, he has such a
>>> history of
>>> anxiety that I feel he needs to step carefully through everything.  I use
>>> the cue
>>> "step", taught at the mounting block  They both have learned that "step"
>>> means to take
>>> a look and a step forward, one step at a time.  And it never means "leap".

More good points.  That's what is important to me - making judgement calls
based on the
needs of the particular horse, not trying to make one-size fits all
generalities.   Some
horses are just inherently more anxious, and sometimes we run into horses who
have become
anxious because of bad experiences.

Part of the reason I pay attention to the Parelli program is that I'm always
trying to
think of ways of expressing what I see in words that others might understand,
and if Pat
Parelli can do anything well, it's think of meaningful phrases that people can
remember.
It's in the impulsion DVD that he explains the difference between "impulsive"
and
"impulsion"  - most people want a horse with some impulsion, but virtually no
one wants an
impulsive (unthinking, reactive) horse.  He goes on to explain that some horses
naturally
have a high energy level you might describe as a "10", while others may be a
"1" or a
"2"... and most people like horses somewhere closer to the "5" range.  That
would be a
horse that stops as easily as he goes, isn't in danger of running away with
you, but one
that you don't have to continually nag to move forward either.  In this case,
maybe what
you're trying to do with Tosca and Hunter is to keep them both near that ideal
"5"
range...and since (I'm guessing?) Tosca is probably a little lower energy, you
can afford
to splurge and let her jump, where jumping might rev Hunter up closer to the
"10" side of
the scale...?  I know this 1-10 scale is somewhat simplistic, but I think it
gets the
point across that what's right for one horse can be totally wrong for another.