>> (Just had the vet out to give 6-way and rabies to the whole gang: no
>> discernable reactions from anyone.)

I've given 3-, 4- and 5-ways to a lot of horses for a lot of years, and
we've never had a reaction.  In fact, the only vaccine reaction we've ever
seen was with Thunder - after one of his early WNV vaccines, he had some
vague neurological symptoms for about 12-24 hours, starting a few hours
after the vaccine.  That one happened to be a single vaccine, a fall booster
that was the only vaccine he got that day.  He was fine afterwards.  Since
WNV is a real threat here, he's had it every time it's come due since, and
has never had another reaction.  Of course, I can't swear it was due to the
WNV, but the timing did seem right, and the symptoms seemed appropriate.

I've never heard anything to make me think that there's any real link
between SE and the timing or combining of vaccines - not in horses with
normal, healthy immune systems.  MAYBE there is, but, if so, it's not strong
enough for me to change my schedule.  If people want to stagger their
vaccines to be extra-safe, I think that's fine, but sometimes I think the
attitude behind staggering them gets "preachy" on these lists, to the point
of putting a guilt trip on those who don't feel like they can easily do it,
for whatever reason.   Let's face it, with gas costs going up, the vet's
farm call charges will NOT be going down probably ever, and some of us don't
live close to a vet clinic.   Because I have so many horses, my vet is out
all along during the year, and I COULD stagger my shot schedule...but I just
don't see the need.   I could choose to have 2-3 horses in my pastures and
pamper them with every luxury known to man, but instead, I keep my pastures
chock full of horses, some needy and unwanted, and try to give merely "good"
health care to all of them.