>>> Oh yes.  And jumping little jumps, no stirrups, no reins.  But those
>>> old exercise do help a rider develop a seat independent of hands and
>>> feet.  And they're not specific to English riding either.  I dropped a
>>> stirrup in a dicey situation on Hunter one day out on a highly technical
>>> trail and still managed to stay in the middle of him without grabbing
>>> his face.  Of course in my mid-sixties and overweight, I do not ride
>>> like I did at 30 or 35, but the more those skills are honed, the more
>>> automatic they become and the safer we are when riding.

I picked up a habit years ago from a much better rider than I am.  When
riding a horse that feels even slightly unruly, I DROP my stirrups.  If your
feet are braced in the stirrups, hanging on for dear life, you're like the
arrow pulled back in the bow, ready to get launched!  You can't brace as
well if you don't have stirrups and bracing isn't good.  Also, if you have
to make a quick dismount, you can do so more quickly if your feet are free.
Of course, I've learned to depend on groundwork more and more, so I try not
to get myself in those situations, but it's another reason not to depend on
your stirrups.