Sure we do...plus foxes, an occasional owl that flies up across the trail
about 10 feet in front of us!   (That's my personal favorite.  Nothing makes
me jump quicker than a huge bird taking flight practically in my face.)   No
bear, no moose, and no cougars though.  I actually can feel MORE secure
without stirrups, since riding without them encourages me to brace.

>>> (Just read this - it's not quite true -  we do stand in our stirrups
>>> when ascending very VERY steep trails, a position similar to one you
>>> would be in jumping a 3 or 4 ft jump.  The theory is that it freees the
>>> horse's back up.

I'm not quibbling over someone who does something like that for a short
period, if it's done for a reason, and if you think it's helping the horses.
I've mainly been talking about the kind of riding we see in the Icelandic
show ring - remember the subject line...   There aren't too many bears or
steep hills in any show ring I've experienced.  If you need to brace in a
flat, groomed arena, something is indeed amiss!