My personal favorite out here are the wild turkeys.  Most are in the 10  lb
range and they whir up out of the grass like a bunch of huge ungainly
 quail.

Yes, we also have turkeys.  We have so many now that most of the horses are
pretty used to them - unless they do the fly out from between the front feet
thing.  I was walking around the corner of the barn at Creekside the other
day carrying a purple saddle pad.  For some reason, that was scarey and she
took off running until she got to the front feet of my friend's Peruvian
Paso.  Having nowhere else to go, she flapped as hard as a chicken can and
ended right up in his face.  He was impressive.  Other than wide eyes, he
stood stock still.

Nancy