--- On Sat, 7/12/08, Judy Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are three-gaited Icelandics; they should be
> acknowledged.  It's not
> right to pretend they don't exist.

Well, I am not sure that people pretend that they do not exist.  I know they
are not showcased, put up on a pedastool....but I have seen them here.  There
was an Icelandic gelding that was 3 gaited for sale on Dreamhorse a few weeks
ago, cowboy was his name.

We have a nice 3 gaited Icelandic here.  He gaits out in pasture freely, but
becuase of improper training, meaning he was forced to trot only and reprimaded
when he  tolted, we have been unable to get him to gait under saddle.  It might
come, but he is awesome, really bombproof, sturdy and would be an excellent
endurance prospect.

It seems that the Icelandic people acknowledge them, mabye not in the way we
would like.  However it seems because of this history it seems like they do
value a naturally gaited horse.

I know I do not want to breed for 3 gaited Icelandics....so if its not a value
we are breeding for why would we showcase a breeding fault?  What really is the
percentage of non gaited Icelandics?  That would be interesting to know...I bet
it is small.

Do other gaited breeds talk about their non gaited offspring?

I personally have never seen that.

Just a question, as I know I am jumping in on this thread.

Skye