> Do other gaited breeds talk about their non gaited offspring?
>
> I personally have never seen that.

yes they do, but the breeders credit it to introduction of shoddy
bloodlines into the registry when the books were open, etc., or blame
it on poor riding, which is often true, or bad tack which is often
true but not in they way they imagine it...  they blame it on tack
that isnt severe enough, need to fix it with weighted shoes etc.
There was a thread on another list recently, about how they hold
"piggy pace" competitions in iceland.  First of all, again by posts
you could see no one is in agreement on what piggy pace is exactly.
Some think it is stepping pace, some think it is hard pace, some think
it is a saddle rack...  but anyway, one person in iceland said they
have the poorly gaited horses out so they can laugh and hoot and have
a ball making fun of the poorly gaited horses.  That just made my
blood boil.  Infuriated me.  Offlist someone emailed and said her
horse was a piggy pacer and it was awesome smooth so she didnt
understand...  her horse probably saddle racks.  a saddle rack is
nothing in this world to be ashamed of, is the signature gait of many
breeds, the RMSH among them, the SSH, the KMSH...  I rode Eitill and
he tolted and it felt and looked no different to me whatsoever than
when my stonewall, a SSH saddleracks.  So surely they dont stand
around and guffaw and hoot over a fine gait like that, so I just
imagine they mean a hard pace.  Which offends me no end, my twh jaspar
is as pacey as they come, and he is also about the best goddang horse
in the world, the universe, if I ever heard anybody even snicker about
him I would literally, i aint even exaggerating in the least, jump on
them and whoop their stupid ass right on the spot, i dont care if it
was in the middle of a parade down main street and we were in full
posse regalia bearing the american flag in honor guard, i swear i
would.  I have to say after owning tivar that my finest horses have
been "three gaited" and my finest gaited horses were the ones most
likely to kill someone, until now I have Trausti and he is both fine
gaited and mild mannered...  but anyway.  If people want to be gait
snobs they need to quit breeding for long refined necks and fine
builds, cause you cant have it both ways.  oh thats right!  you can
have it both ways!  I forgot about the weighted boots and cantle
sitting.
janice--
even good horses have bad days sometimes.