Ken Hornstein wrote:

> >GSS-API v2 has a de-facto maturity level of full standard.
>
> "If you say so".  Regardless of that, however ... as far as the IETF is
> concerned, it's de jure maturity level is still proposed.  Whether or
> not it would make sense to change it at this point is a question I'm
> not qualified to answer, but certainly according to the process of the
> IETF, it can be changed.

With the level of change that Sam and others are speaking of
the complete architecture of GSS-API would have to change.

That would mean that the spec would have to recycle at proposed.

Let's see:
We have an awfully large installed base of perfectly fine GSS-API v1/v2
(including rfc-1964 Kerberos for that matter, and I have a list of >20
independent implementations of non-Kerberos gssapi mechanisms).

If you think you can convince the IESG that creating an incompatible
spec with an uncooked architecture to be a successor of GSS-API v2
(which will then have to recycle at proposed) with a small number
of potential implementors (if any) is worth a working group
-- then go ahead and waste everyones time.

-Martin