On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 8:50 PM Roland Turner <roland=
40rolandturner....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On 13/11/22 03:05, Wei Chuang wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 11:17 PM Roland Turner <roland=
> 40rolandturner....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>

>>    1. Unless one or more of the larger receivers (a) has a useful tool
>>    to help with this problem, and (b) is willing to share operational
>>    experience, then we risk creating yet another lengthy, academic exercise
>>    (remember ADSP?). I'd suggest that this might be enough reason by itself
>>    not to proceed.
>>
>> See the dispatch slides here
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/115/materials/slides-115-dispatch-dkim-replay-problem-and-possible-solutions>
>  for
> operational experience and impact for at least Gmail and Fastmail (the
> presenters).  See the introduction.
>
> Thanks, but that deck appears to contain no information about operational
> experience or impact for either organisation, it merely describes the
> attack and surveys the proposed improvements to defences. Also, while
> Bron's role at Fastmail is clear, your own involvement with Google's
> receiving of email is not: are you in fact part of Google's email abuse
> control function?

Yes.  As to my role in this, I am a Gmail delivery team lead with
responsibility over the email authentication systems.  The introduction in
that slide deck represents the consensus description between the anti-abuse
and delivery teams with feedback from Bron and others as to the behavior
and impact of DKIM replay, and was based on a longer version presented at
the M3AAWG 56 BoF that was shortened to fit into the allotted time for
Dispatch.  I can also say that Gmail is very interested in seeing a DKIM
replay solution be developed in the IETF.  Depending on how this goes, if
the solution is technically sound and feasible, yes we will invest in
prototyping the specification.

-Wei