> On 11 Dec 2022, at 20:52, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 12:34 PM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com
> <mailto:m...@mtcc.com>> wrote:
> Re: stripping signatures, all the attacker needs to do is either send it to a
> service that doesn't strip signatures or use their own MTA. Trivially
> avoidable, and a Maginot Line of epic narrowness.
>
> Right, I think this is an aspect of that proposal that warrants further
> debate.  I think the argument is compelling, but it's clearly not bulletproof.
>
> As for resolution: the first obvious one is to not send spam in the first
> place. That is the root of the problem. The second is that Bcc's can be
> treated with more suspicion. Neither of these needs the working group to do
> anything.
>
> I think this is easier said than done.  In the example I gave, "don't send
> spam in the first place" reduces to "make sure your users are 100%
> trustworthy or that your outbound spam filters are 100% accurate", which
> strikes me as an impossible bar to meet.

Also, in the case of replay attacks, we’re redefining spam to a point of
uselessness. Spam is mail that users didn’t ask to receive. But the initial
message that’s being signed is an opt-in message. The sender knows the
recipient address wants the message. We’ve spent 25 years trying to block spam,
I’m not sure that this is even a solveable problem. Even if you made COI the
default and could only send mail with an actual confirmation message in hand,
that’s a trivially jumpable hoop for the spammer to negotiate.

> The alternative is to say: Well, if you can't make at least one of those two
> quantities bulletproof, then don't sign your mail.  That, though, sounds a
> lot to me like tossing DKIM in the bin

Agreed.

laura

--