On Sat, Feb 4, 2023 at 10:15 AM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> Marketing email probably does. Whether it's spam or not is often in the
> eye of the beholder.

Having spent some time in the industry, I can tell you that a significant
majority of marketing email service providers will deliver a unique
message, with a unique signature, for each individual recipient. DKIM
replay, in its most problematic current form, repeats one signature, often
millions of times or more. Even a very approximate count of h= or bh=
hashes can be a useful signal to distinguish direct vs. replayed
signatures.

As I'm sure there are occasional cases where non-replay mail may re-use the
same signature a substantial number of times, I suspect any potential
mechanism based on this would need to be optional on both the signer and
validator side, requiring no changes to existing infrastructure unless a
signer or validator is interested in addressing this type of DKIM replay.
Seems like that could satisfy the people seeking a solution, and those
interested in avoiding any breaking changes.