On 2/2/23 4:06 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
There is an existing draft of a problem statement, so there's at least a
starting point to consider.  I think discussion about what's needed is probably
more useful relative to a specific draft than in the abstract:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chuang-dkim-replay-problem/

Other than removing the ARC references, this seems like a good start.

I sort of like the proposed solution space, but several of them could be tried today or have huge downsides. Bcc, for example, would be a security fail if it were in the message headers. Caching signatures could be tried today but I don't see how that can be distinguished from, say, a mailing list.

But it could be rewritten in terms of not solutions but possible angles to attack the problem with pros and cons. It may well be that a preponderance of evidence could be useful. We could list off a bunch of other possible clues too. For one, what is the reputation of the To: address's domain? There are surely more.

Mike