On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 8:09 PM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> I've always thought that the likelihood of a protocol level solution for
> this issue is pretty close to zero if not zero. The various proposed
> solutions in the problem draft haven't given me any reason to dissuade
> me of that notion.
>
> That said, I think that we might be able to catalog some clues that
> something is suspicious which taken with many other clues can be used to
> by a receiver to make an ultimate decision of spamminess. A good example
> is the unsigned To: and Subject: lines. Even if it's strictly allowed by
> the spec, that doesn't mean it's not suspect. It could be really useful
> to collect this clues as input signals to a larger preponderance of
> evidence.

Authentication-Results already noted the idea that a signature, even a
valid one, might still be considered not acceptable to the verifier and
reported differently for one reason or another.  An unsigned Subject was
the classic example.

Dealing with this in A-R nicely removes it from being dealt with at the
protocol level, where I would argue this sort of logic doesn't belong.

-MSK