On 3/10/23 7:46 AM, Laura Atkins wrote:

On 10 Mar 2023, at 00:30, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

Now that we have a chair, I have a question about process wrt to the charter. The charter states that either the working group will produce documents addressing the problem, or it will produce a document saying why it can't do anything about it within the IETF confines. I strongly suspect that that the latter will be the conclusion but I don't know what the process would look like to come to that conclusion. It seems like it entails a long list of "can't do this"'s etc followed by "we give up". But that list could be nearly endless if it is allowed to get out of hand. So what does it take to come to that conclusion from a process standpoint?

Our current milestones are:

Apr 2023 - Post a consensus problem statement draft to the datatracker (may

 not go to the IESG)

 Jun 2023 - Proposal regarding plans for remaining document(s) presented to

 the AD

 Dec 2023 - Submit technical specifications for replay-resistant DKIM

 enhancement(s) to the IESG at Proposed Standard

Per the charter, Or Not. That is what I'm asking about.

Coming to the conclusion will be done in the same manner as IETF decisions are made: by group consensus. That includes the consensus on whether or not this is a protocol problem or an operational problem. As I read the charter, that decision needs to be made by June, meaning we have slightly more than 2 1/2 months to reach it. That gives us a specific time constraint for that discussion.

Since June is supposedly the deadline for making that decision, that means that any approaches to deal with the problem should be on the table well before that. Currently, there are about 4 drafts or so a couple of which seem similar. I don't know if anybody else will be forthcoming with another approach(s), but it would need time to be vetted. So is the process that if all of the proposed approaches are rejected by the June deadline it becomes in the operational domain? (or not, because access to the needed information is not available to this community).

Mike