On 3/24/23 6:15 AM, Laura Atkins wrote:

    On 10 Mar 2023, at 00:30, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com>
    <mailto:m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

    Now that we have a chair, I have a question about process wrt
    to the charter. The charter states that either the working
    group will produce documents addressing the problem, or it will
    produce a document saying why it can't do anything about it
    within the IETF confines. I strongly suspect that that the
    latter will be the conclusion but I don't know what the process
    would look like to come to that conclusion. It seems like it
    entails a long list of "can't do this"'s etc followed by "we
    give up". But that list could be nearly endless if it is
    allowed to get out of hand. So what does it take to come to
    that conclusion from a process standpoint?

    Our current milestones are:

    Apr 2023 - Post a consensus problem statement draft to the
    datatracker (may
     not go to the IESG)

     Jun 2023 - Proposal regarding plans for remaining document(s)
    presented to
     the AD

     Dec 2023 - Submit technical specifications for replay-resistant
    DKIM
     enhancement(s) to the IESG at Proposed Standard

    Per the charter, Or Not. That is what I'm asking about.

Between the milestones and the charter text, the charter text is typically the more important of the two.  Milestones can be edited without full IESG review, while the charter can't.  So if the working group needs more time than April or June, that can be negotiated.

I’d like to get a problem statement done by April. What I’m seeing is a lot of people focused on solutions or having side discussions about spam filters rather than looking at the wording of the two proposed problem statements we have on the table.

As I've said, the two proposed problem statements are far too vague. It's not about wordsmithing them. It's about having something that actually discusses what is known about the problem.

And BTW: the charter says that a BCP is in scope. That is not a "side discussion".

Mike