On August 9, 2023 3:15:36 AM UTC, Jesse Thompson <z...@fastmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 8, 2023, at 6:37 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>> >I agree wholeheartedly. I just wanted to make it clear for the record that
>> >this isn’t an issue of the signer knowingly signing spam and “deserving”
>> >any reputation problems.
>>
>> Intent has nothing to do with it.  Reputation is what you do, not what you
>> intend.
>
>I think we can agree that spammers will always exist because they are a
>societal problem. Societal problems can't be completely solved with
>technology. Spammers will find ways to leverage the technologies we build to
>leverage in their ill will. DKIM didn't intend to give a haven for spammers to
>hide behind DKIM signers, but that's what it does. DKIM replay is a problem
>that is going to persist as long as society has spammers. Yet, DKIM isn't
>designed to solve spam problems. It conveys identifiable and verifiable
>information. DKIM signers will not be able to identify 100% of what a receiver
>will consider spam, but they can provide additional verifiable information for
>receivers to interpret into their disposition.

I think that very much depends on the type of sender.  For a corporate domain
with good security practices, spam sending can and should be extraordinarily
rare.  A premium service provider will probably not be able to do as well, even
if they invest in knowing their customers.  A low cost/free provider will
probably do less well yet.  I would expect each of these types of domains to
have (appropriately) different reputations.

Yes, probably no one is 100% on this over an extended period of time, but that
doesn't mean that it's hopeless.  I very much disagree with the idea that DKIM
provides a haven for spammers.  It may be that receivers are over-valuing a
good DKIM signature, but I expect they will adjust (recent discussions on this
list point in that direction).

Scott K