Just a quick clarification:

You mentioned below that you didn't understand what ESP meant. I honestly have
a hard time unraveling the nuanced differences of Email Sending Provider and
MTAs, MSAs, MDAs, MTAs, "intermediary" and "forwarder"; all of which an ESP
could be providing as a service, depending on the lens one looks at it.

On Sat, Aug 12, 2023, at 2:31 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> The only remaining option spammers would have is stripping DKIM
> entirely, as you say.

It's not what I was saying. If DKIM is what is used by ESPs to authenticate
message submissions, and the fallback for non-DKIM signed mail is to allow the
submission, then certainly that is something spammers would leverage. That
seems like an unlikely scenario since ESPs require other forms of
authenticating message submission.

I was saying that the ESP would need to strip an existing DKIM signature if it
is at risk of replay, and apply it's own pre-RCPT signature in its place (or at
least add the additional signature if it knows that receivers will take both
signatures into consideration and the original signature is not invalidated by
the message modification).

If I understand based on my limited view of history, DKIM was designed for
authentication between two hops. Signature survival across intermediaries was
only achievable by encouraging intermediaries to not make any changes to the
message "inside the envelope" such as standards-allowed MIME re-encoding
(which, notably, prevents intermediaries from improving MIME interoperability).

Jesse