On 8/14/2023 8:20 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
DKIM was designed to attach, with cryptographic protection, the domain name of a handling agent to the message.  There's no expectation that the agent doing so asserts anything about the content of the message (i.e., "this is not spam"), nor is there any expectation that the domain signing it is the domain originating it.  There's no constraint about which agent (receiver or intermediary) attempts to validate it.

Since we seem to need this level of tutorial in the working group, I'll stress that everyone of the above points is not only true but is fundamental to the nature, design and intended use of DKIM.  And well-phrased, IMO.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking