On 8/29/23 3:15 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:
Any attempt by senders to filter outbound emails based solely on content is going to have a lot of false negatives and positives, wherever you decide to draw the line.

I find the idea of using different, probably less stringent, filtering on outbound than on inbound to be hypocritical.

I find it tantamount to someone saying they only accept the most pristine message while sending less pristine, and sometimes really tarnished, email.

Sure, there are some differences, e.g. lack of user preferences.

Why the asymmetry?

Why not apply the same filtering for outbound messages as applied to inbound messages?

Inbound content-based filtering is much easier to get right - not least because the fallback is “just deliver it to the spam folder” - and we’re not great at that.

I guess I'm coming from a different place. I always was more worried about what I send and not upsetting the rest of the Internet than I am about what I accept in.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die