On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 2:41 PM John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
> Honestly, I don't know. Of the trickle of mail I see with l=, most is
> from the libertarian Reason blog with l=1 and the rest is from
> Verisign who for some reason sign with l= actual length.
>
> I suspect I could get Verisign's attention. Reason, who knows, as
> likely as not they have some political reason they think it's a good
> idea.

When this was released on Friday, I found the worst offenders I could
from own spamtrap feed, and correlated most of it to a specific email
service provider. I contacted people there on Friday and they tell me
that they are releasing a fix today (Monday). I'm light on details and
certainly can't take credit for driving this change, but yes, I think
it would be good for folks to get the attention of affected email
sending platforms as much as possible, directly if possible.

> >But there are already major mail receivers who treat any DKIM signature
> >containing l= to be invalid.
>
> That will definitely get their attention.

I think that will convert the problem into one that email marketing
senders will understand a little more easily. Oops, why are you
treating my DKIM-signed messages as though they are not signed?

I hear whispers of more mailbox providers moving to act similarly. I
think that will help significantly.

Removing l= from the RFC still seems like a good thing, so that it
will catch up to the operational reality that large/savvy MBPs will
already be invalidating signatures containing l=, while driving the
point home for smaller providers or those who may be more of a
stickler about RFCs.

Cheers,
Al Iverson

--