On Sep 8, 2006, at 9:48 AM, John Levine wrote:

2. I don't care about the breakage and I'd prefer you reject unsigned mail.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the fundamental question here is why should the recipient care what the sender claims he prefers?

Anytime you send e-mail to someone, you're basically asking them to do you a large favor by investing the effort to accept and deliver it. Senders don't get to set rules about what recipients can do.

It's fine if senders can offer advice to recipients that the recipients find useful to do what they want to do, which is presumably to deliver mail that their own users want, but "because I said so" doesn't make advice useful.

You are right. Scott's statement was poorly worded as a request to the verifier. It should have been a simple statement about the domain's intended practices. "This email-address represents messages of a transactional nature" and "All other email-addresses may employ non-compliant services that might damage their signature." When you have decided to accept this domain's messages, the policy statement might help reduce support calls due to valid undelivered messages as well as preventing potential spoofing by enabling stronger annotations in these exceptional cases. It should not take long for recipient to expect to see these annotations on messages of this nature.

-Doug