At 05:17 18-06-2008, John Levine wrote:
>[ not about ADSP, about DKIM ]
>
>An acquaintance points out that one could prepend an extra From: or
>Subject: header to a DKIM signed message, which wouldn't break the
>signature, but would often be displayed by MUAs which show the new one
>rather than the old one.  Needless to say, that weakens the practical
>benefit of DKIM for people with MUAs like that.

Yes.  As you pointed out, the message would no longer be valid
according to 2822.

>My theory is that DKIM only applies to valid 2822 messages, and it's not a
>substitute for a sanity check for all the screwy things one can send in a
>non-conformant message.  Perhaps it would be a good idea someday to
>collect experience and advice into an implmentation guide, but other
>than that, it's not our problem.  Agreed?

There is an implementation note about signing all end-user visible
header fields.  The topic of multiple From headers came up during a
discussion about a DK implementation.  It was suggested not to sign
such messages.  If I recall correctly, the test was also done in the
DKIM implementation.  At the verification stage, it's better to do a
sanity check on the headers before verifying the signature and flag
non-conformant messages.

Regards,
-sm