Tony Hansen wrote:
> I think Suresh (and possibly Mike) are advocating a different sort of
> model for i= that I (and I think many others) have for it.
>
> They appear to be ignoring one part of the i= definition
>
>       Identity of the user or agent (e.g., a mailing list manager) on
>       behalf of which this message is signed
>
> and that's the word "identity". They seem to be replacing it with what
> appears to be an "assessment of the identity" as provided by someone
> else. Hence their references to i=g...@aol.com, i=...@aol.com, etc. This
> is contrary to the spec.
>
> I fully expect the i= value, if it is present, to represent the identity
> of that user/agent. If a signer does not >>know<< the identity of that
> agent, I don't expect there to be a value for i=. If you don't >>know<<
> the user/agent identity, you cannot and must not put in a value for i=.
> If all you have is a gut feeling for the user/agent identity, you cannot
> and must not put in a value for i=. If you're a mail relayer, or a mail
> gateway, you cannot and must not put in a value for i=.

I think you may have landed on the core question (whew!)  Is the i= value:

1. a single identity, or
2. a free-form identifier?

If the receive-side use case is to filter out mail from an untrusted domain,
then (as Suresh keeps saying) i= being anything besides the default probably
won't be very useful at all.  Same story when the entire domain is trusted.

If the receive-side use case is to filter or prioritize different mail
streams or mail types within a single domain (such as transactional vs.
marketing vs. corporate, or the various customers of an ESP), i= can be
treated as a stable but opaque identifier.  This also works for the AOL idea
of lumping especially trusted users into one identifier & especially
untrusted users into another.

If the receive-side use case is to prioritize mail from trusted individuals
within an untrusted domain (Grandma using a big ISP), or untrusted
individuals within a trusted domain (spammer using a big ISP), i= MUST a
single, stable identity, equivalent to the individual user ID.

What are the other cases we've all been talking past?  Are there
sending-side use cases which vary dramatically from the above?

--
J.D. Falk
Return Path Inc